Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Blessings of Struggling

Four weeks to go and this semester is OVER!

This has been a really hectic semester.  Not only am I carrying 18 credits this semester in a program where most classes are in 8-week blocks, but I am writing my senior capstone research paper, being a single mom of three teenagers - one in rehearsals for a school play and one on the school softball team - and dealing with normal struggles of a single parenting, full-time college student, and modern woman.  That's a pretty full plate!

I have often felt overwhelmed and stressed this semester, but just when things seem to reach a point where I don't feel I can go forward, something happens to alleviate the stress.

- Class discussions frequently give me new insights into my research topic.

- My ex-husband volunteered to be assistant coach and get our daughter home from practice three times a week, thus lightening my load considerably.

- I attended a conference at school where the keynote speaker has studied my topic for two decades and she willingly sat with me afterwards for 30+ minutes to discuss my paper, my struggles to find sources, and the strengthen of my argument.  She gave me new insights, enthusiastically encouraged me in both the paper and my education, and told me exactly which sources would give me the information I felt I was missing.  What an answer to prayers!

- Last night some friends "kidnapped" me and "forced" me to eat Mexican food, talk and laugh for hours, and let go of some of the stress that has kept me wound up so tightly.

As I think about the ways each of these, and other, events have blessed me I am reminded that the Lord is aware of me.  He knows my struggles.  He knows what I need to stretch myself and He knows when He has pushed me to my limits and it is time to provide relief.  I admit I have cried and I have been frustrated and I have moved forward without understanding what I needed to do, but I have also grown through these struggles.  I will be glad when this semester is over in four weeks, but I wouldn't trade this semester for anything because of the things I have learned, both in school and at home.  It has been a hectic semester, yes, but I am SO glad it happened. 

No comments: