Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Patriotism and the Phoenix Temple

Artist's rendering of proposed Phoenix Temple

Today I attended a meeting of the City of Phoenix zoning commission. They were considering a request by the Church for a revision of the zoning requirements for the proposed Phoenix Temple.

The commission chairman commented on how great it is to live in America, where two parties can come together in an orderly and respectful way to calmly discuss their opposing views. I am also grateful for the government processes established by our Founding Fathers that allow us to voice our concerns in government decisions. We are truly blessed to live in this country.

It is unfortunate that in this situation there is no way to please everyone. After hearing their presentation, I can understand the concerns of the homeowners in the area. Some of their concerns are unfounded, like their fear that we will start food processing and canning activities at the temple. However, to these homeowners these are very real concerns about the changes in their neighborhood. When the commission gave unanimous approval to the Church's zoning request, the homeowners' disappointment was palpable.

Naturally, the matter is not completely over. The homeowners have the right to appeal the commission's decision, which they probably will. But for now, I am grateful for the lessons in patriotism and government that I learned today.

And I am grateful that we are one step closer to beginning construction on the Phoenix Temple.

No comments: